Monday, March 16, 2009

Original Alice Cel

Flash forward about 4 years I think, and Howard Lowery's auctions were in full swing, with at least 2 and sometimes 4 auctions per year. Imagine my surprise when this cel shows up in one of his catalogs.


I immediately pulled out my drawing and rushed over to the tiny shop in Burbank to compare my drawing to this cel. It is not an exact match, but it is only a few frames away - I don't recall exactly how many but at the time I did single step through the film to see just how close they were, and it is a matter of 2 or 3 frames.

So of course, I had to have it. And I do, it is happily on my wall with this interesting Xerox background that works pretty well with it.

4 comments:

Bob Cowan said...

A great looking piece! Nice pose...

Vintage Disneyland Tickets said...

Nice cell! Hey Matt, pardon my ignorance here, but what was/is the "Howard Lowery's auctions" I'm thinking I've seen that name on Ebay? Thanks!

Matt said...

Howard Lowery was a fixture in live auctions of animation art in Southern California for years, starting at the Collector's Bookstore in Hollywood before starting his own business in Burbank. Throughout the 1990s and into the early 2000s he held 2-4 major auctions of animation each year. In recent years he has been on ebay under the name hllowery, and just today I found out that he has launched his own online auction site.

Vintage Disneyland Tickets said...

How Funny, I got a post card in the mail yesterday!

(Link)

(Link)