Thursday, March 4, 2010

Domar Red Plastic Cookie Cutter - Alice

I don't know about you, but when I was growing up we always made cookies at Christmas, and we always used those red plastic cookie cutters in the shapes of Santa, ornaments, reindeer, trees, angels, etc. Who knew they made those same type of cookie cutters for Disney characters?

This Alice on her original card was made by the Domar Plastic Corporation of Oklahoma City. She is one of a set of four cutters that includes the Mad Hatter, the White Rabbit, and the Cheshire Cat. These cookie cutters are pretty damn rare, although there was a small find on them in the early 1990s, but only Alice, Mad Hatter and White Rabbit were in the find.

The art on the card is pretty cool, I cleaned it up a bit with my limited Photoshop skills.

The back of the card lists all the other cookie cutters you could buy, and gave a recipe for 'life-like' cookie dough that supposedly works well for these cutters, like I'm going to use them. I once had a life scarring mishap with a set of Tom and Jerry cutters I had purchased as a gift for a friend. Word to the wise: do not put these in a dishwasher!

6 comments:

Major Pepperidge said...

"Life like cookie dough", huh? Does it scream when you cut it? Nice that you have the original card - the White Rabbit looks like he has been smoking something.

I don't have any Alice cookie cutters like this, but I do have two Reddy Kilowatt examples!

Matt said...

Yeah, puts me in mind of Shrek "do you know the muffing man?"

I've also seen Cinderella cookie cutters like this, they are more common but still hard to find.

Wayne said...

The White Rabbit's eyes look like they belong on the March Hare!

Kent said...

Yeah, I have a Prince Charming and Donald Duck that look like they're from the same company. (And a Barney Bear... and something else that I'm blanking on. Have to dig them out, I suppose.)

Shelley Parker Chandler said...

I have the full Alice set and the Cinderella set (including Prince Charming, Gus, and Jacque), but no cards for any of them. I have the Blondie set (including the 5 puppies), Reddy Kilowatt, the Lowe's set of Tom, Jerry, Barney Bear, Droopy Dog, etc. I have been collecting cutters for over 30 years and have tons.

I actually took the Alice set to the Antiques Roadshow in Tulsa last month, but their "expert" didn't have a clue. She said they would be worth about "$10 each", but "probably worth more" to a collector. You think? I was very disappointed that I knew much more about what I had than the appraiser.

Matt said...

Yeah, the pop culture stuff is really tough to assign value to, and those antique roadshow people really only know and care about the stuff that is worth $1000s, everything else they just guess, and obviously they can guess wrong.