Friday, March 22, 2013

Re-release Studio Preview Invitation - March 22, 1974

Ok, in general I'm not a big fan of the 1974 re-release art, but I have to admit that this is pretty fun.  This is an invitation to the studio preview of the 1974 re-release of Alice in Wonderland, featuring a vividly striped cover!  If IMDB can be believed, the official release date was March 15th, 1974, so this would be more of a studio screening rather than a true preview.
I love they way they striped the entire front with just the outline of the Cheshire Cat.  The art for him is the same as for the 1974 standee, previously posted here, although not nearly as obnoxious.  Inside is the standard art for the re-release, with the date and time blaring out of the White Rabbit's bugle.  Admits two.
There was a  previous preview invitation posted here, a true preview as it was months prior.  I guess they were either trying to let as many people see it as possible, or perhaps they were trying to gauge its potential for success?  Hard to say what the studio types were thinking in the 1970s, pretty much the worst period ever for the studio.  Regardless, 39 years later this is still a cool piece.

3 comments:

Major Pepperidge said...

The invitation is great, but I have to admit that I really love the standee! The colors really evoke 1974 and psychedelia. Definitely more loud and "in your face" compared to the 1951 marketing though.

Snow White Archive said...

I know I haven't seen nearly the amount of Alice promotional materials as you have Matt, so I'm not a good judge. However, I think I agree with the Major and kind of like the artwork for the standee. :)

Brian Sibley said...

There was a (in the UK at any rate, a full colour version of the psychedelic poster and I have some press ads featuring AiW and Fantasia as a kind of trippy double bill.