Sunday, April 20, 2014

Kent Feedsack - Homemade Items

Since the entire purpose of these printed feedsacks was to enable homemakers to sew clothes or other items from them, let's take a look at some!
This is a baby blanket made with not one but two full feedsacks, and one of each pattern.  Interesting that they chose the yellow and green colors, guess this was a shower gift and they chose non-traditional gender colors.
This looks like a smock or dress or pinafore for a very young girl, no more than 18 months I would guess.  It laces up the back.
This is an apron, probably made for a little girl to help her mother with the chores.
And this is another apron, could be for a girl or Mom, but is in very good shape, doesn't look like it was every used.

I love stuff like this, things that were actually used as they were designed.  I have a few other items like this, but they appear to be small tablecloths or perhaps basket liners and as such just look like a big square, so not the interesting to photograph.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

How do you manage to find these things?

Matt said...

Constant vigilance! And the fact that I've been doing this for 25 years. It was a lot easier in the 1990s when it seemed like I was one of only 2 or 3 Disney Alice collectors out there, I bought absolutely everything I saw, regardless of whether or not I had it already. It's amazing what a compulsive personality, a good job with good pay, no major financial responsibilities, and a complete disregard for my future financial security will do for amassing a collection.